Slider

3/20/2012

167. In season


This is the second portrait I did for my figurative painting class. This particular model of ours had platinum blonde hair, which made her surprisingly difficult to paint! I've forgotten how many times I had to redo the nose because I couldn't get the colours quite right.

Speaking of colours, this piece was so much fun to make because of the palette! I was ecstatic when my professor picked out mint green and pastel purple cloths for the backdrop, and the pink and yellow lights against the model's platinum blonde hair offered the perfect complements! As you can see, the colours in the palette are very spot on spring:


Right after the portrait, I started work on my vanitas painting. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, vanitas is "Latin, meaning "emptiness" and loosely translated corresponds to the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of vanity." Yes, I did quickly just look that up on Wikipedia for you guys.

So what did I choose to paint? A pile of pork chops.

Anyone could go on and on about what it could mean symbolically, but if anyone asks me, I'll just say that I really felt like painting raw meat.

'Til now, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the piece, to be honest. It's certainly the most overwhelming piece I've ever done in terms of composition, so much so that a friend of mine told me it's so unlike me, save for the painting style of course. Here's a tip: try looking at it upside down and from the sides! Just for fun.


Coincidentally, I decided to use the second half of my disposable palette on the raw meat paints. Needless to say, there was a HUGE difference between the two:


By the time the semester ends, I will have produced two more portraits, two large full figure experimental paintings, and a final project. Wish me luck!

Oil on canvas and wood (respectively), 2012.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...