Slider

4/17/2010

39. 20 Years of Animation

PIXAR: 20 YEARS OF ANIMATION is one fucking epic exhibit. I've been wanting to drop by ever since I heard of it's arrival in Singapore, and today I finally had the chance to see it for myself. I must admit, I thought the S$22 admission price was fairly steep, but knowing that it was Pixar, somehow I knew it would be worth it.

And I was right. More than just right. I was spot on!

I don't think I've ever been to a place more inspiring or more beautiful (I don't even remember being this happy in MoMA or The Met - I know, I know, blasphemy!?). I found myself literally GAPING at many of the artwork featured there. Two very special mentions go out to the Toy Story Zoetrope and the Artscape. I swear I could have just sat there forever and watched.

Photography was prohibited, but I found an online gallery right here if any of you want to take a peek. It's definitely worth visiting the exhibit to see everything for yourself, though!

And what's a trip to an exhibit without some sketches? Most were based on maquettes, though others were based on illustrations (the ones of Sullivan and Mike in particular).




(Believe it or not, that multi-eyed monster is an earlier version of Sully - so is the one with horn-rimmed glasses, but that's probably more believable. I love its Miyazaki-esque qualities. How charming!)


And as if it wasn't a good enough day already, I also got myself a copy of the book that chronicles the whole exhibit. Now I can bring the inspiration (not to mention the fond memories) with me wherever I go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...